S4 Gear LockDown X Binocular Harness Review
S4 Gear’s new and improved Optics Lockdown X System features a high tech harness system that allows for Tension Free Glassing with ShockCord and Anti-Bounce Technology. All features reinforce the idea that the LockDown X Optics Deployment System represents an innovative improvement over last year’s Lockdown. The Lockdown X’s design is unique to all other previous binocular straps and harness systems on the market.
The new and improved S4 LockDown X System took suggestions from hunters and outdoor enthusiasts to provide the very best in a comfortable, tension free harness system that provides the following:
• Anti-Bounce Technology that safely secures binoculars to your chest without permitting the movement or bounce associated with traditional harness designs. You can literally crawl, climb through ledges, or even run without the fear of your binoculars moving around or making unnecessary noise.
• Tension Free Glassing allows you to draw your binoculars to your face with a single motion. The 50-50 pre-load design continues to utilizes the ShockCord Security strap for maximum protection during storage while being completely free of load during use.
• A Moldable Security Cover protects a wide variety of optics. The laminated design features scratch resistant materials inside, an aluminum core for memory and a durable noise resistant fabric for the exterior.
• Multiple Adjustments for personalized sizing and comfort. Whether it’s your waist size, optics size, optic cover position, optics tension or harness positioning, you can accommodate an array of adjustments with a single model.
• ShockCord Security Straps fasten tightly to your optics for maximum
security while still maintaining tension free glassing.
• Streamlined Straps are lightweight, silent and designed to be compatible with backpacks weighing in at only 10.2 oz.
While most binocular systems feature straps that either have no lens protection or enclose your binos in a protective department that offers no attachment or tether the S4 Lockdown X utilizes the best of both worlds with their pliable cover for a low profile fit and the ShockCord Security Straps that fasten your optics for maximum security.
Just over a year ago I wrote a very positive review of the new S4 Lockdown deployment system. At the time I felt there was little room to improve the product. I should have known that the engineers at S4 would be at the drawing board to design improvements. Amazingly, the little nuances I noticed last year have been redesigned. The Lockdown X is truly an incredible binocular harness system.
Please keep in mind that I hike for hours each day in very rugged terrain and the weight of high end binos can get very uncomfortable on neck and shoulder muscles, especially if the harness system you are using allows for too much movement. With the S4 lockdown I found a harness that was made of high quality material, looked great, was extremely compact, efficient and comfortable to wear.
The harness itself forms a single strap high in the middle of your back before splitting into separate straps over both shoulders. These shockcord security straps connect to a binocular cover system that is molded with an aluminum core that fits snugly over your binoculars. Made of scratch resistant materials and noise resistant fabric this cover not only protects your optics but it holds them firmly in place against your chest. Belt straps that run around your mid-section connect the lockdown to the back of the strap. With one quick release I can bring the binoculars to eye level for glassing in seconds. I can also detach the complete system from my binoculars with a couple of quick cord releases that allow me to connect my optics to my tripod for longer periods of stabilized glassing in the field.
The S4 lockdown deployment system is well deserving of all its “hype” and is the most innovative harness on the market today in my opinion. There is no doubt that S4 Gear spent some quality time out on the mountain to develop this system. I used this harness for 3 months last fall on some of the most demanding desert sheep hunts in the western US. The rugged canyons and high desert terrain of southern Utah are very unforgiving when it comes to equipment. I was not disappointed in the performance of my S4 deployment system and highly recommend that you purchase a harness from S4 Gear for yourself. You won’t regret it!
The S4 system comes in two sizes that are available for optics 6” to 7.5” in length. At a price of $45 this system is worth every penny. With your purchase you will receive a warranty on the product, split rings and four zip ties to attach your binoculars to the harness. The sizing and adjustments for your body are simple and fitting your binoculars to the harness are just as easy. Good luck everyone and enjoy this well thought out new innovative binocular harness out on the mountain.
What They Could Do Better:
S4 Gear hit a home run with this one. I would offer these suggestions to the team as S4 to make this system even better:
-Design the moldable security cover to be just a little wider for larger optics as my Swarovski 15 x 56’s.
-The elastic straps that buckle around your chest work their way loose when backpacking in rough terrain so that
I have to keep tightening up. Over time they will also loose their elasticity. I strongly suggest a different type
of for this strap.
S4 Gear LockDown X Binocular Harness Review