WILDERNESS ATHLETE’S NEW FLAVORS IN THEIR HYDRATE & RECOVERY, ENERGY & FOCUS NUTRITIONAL SUPPPLEMENTS AND PROBIOTICS PRODUCT REVIEWS
Editor: Randy Johnson
iReview Gear Lead Field Editor
HIGH DESERT WILD SHEEP GUIDES
Worldwide Trophy Adventures Consultant
In April of 2015 I completed a comprehensive analysis @ www.ireviewgear.com of all Wilderness Athlete products. Although there is no “magic elixir” on the market today that will act as the Foundation of Youth I am convinced that if you follow an aggressive physical conditioning program and eat healthy that we can assist the effectiveness of our training/workout regimen through the use of quality supplements. I encourage hunters, athletes and those following an active physical fitness program or lifestyle to do their research and take a very close look at Wilderness Athlete’s Supplemental Products if they are sincerely interested at not only performing more efficiently in life but out on the mountain! In this review I will specifically address the new flavors that WA has came out with in their Hydrate & Recovery and Energy & Focus’ nutritional supplements as well as their new PROBIOTIC.
Wilderness Athlete’s MISSION in regards to the supplemental health products they manufacture supports the foundation this company is dedicated to: “They are committed to improving the health & quality of life for the outdoor athlete by providing field tested, scientifically validated nutrition and sports performance product formulations.”
Wilderness Athlete recently revealed their newest flavors for their Hydrate and Recover and Energy and Focus supplements! Hydrate and Recover will now be available in Strawberry Granada and Energy and Focus will be available in Tropical Fusion. I recently tried both new flavors and they have a very pleasing, fruit flavored taste (and no… I am not paid to say that). Mixing both flavors together was delicious as well! I enjoy both new flavors but the Mango Bango/Berry Blast and Cherry Lime/Lemon Lime combos are also excellent. It all depends on a person’s individual taste buds.
Wilderness Athlete is quickly becoming one of the “Ultimate Experts” in the field of Outdoor Performance Nutrition. Very importantly, WA is “living wild,” recognizing that outdoor athletes such as hunters, hikers, etc, require research driven supplements that help to improve their performance and promote health driven life styles. WA specializes in unique, scientifically validated product formulas to address our requirements to perform at high levels of efficiency. They believe that physical conditioning for the outdoor athlete before, during and after the outdoor activity we are involved in is extremely important. Wilderness Athlete has dedicated their research to ensuring that every minute we spend out on the mountain or in our personal training to achieve success is aided through the use of high quality supplements.
As I addressed in my previous review on Wilderness Athlete’s drink products, “the power behind those formulas is based in their “EXCLUSIVE POWDER.” Why? Because anytime a nutrient (herb, mineral, vitamin, or amino acid) is placed in solution (liquid), it immediately begins to degrade and lose its potency. From the day that any raw material is manufactured it begins to breakdown as the process of oxidation begins.
Vitamin C, for instance, is a powerful anti-oxidant and at Wilderness Athlete they put 1000 mg. of Vitamin C in every serving of their Hydrate and Recovery product. That same Vitamin C placed in a liquid and put on a shelf or warehouse will deteriorate very quickly as its nutritional value is greatly compromised.
Additionally, Wilderness Athlete uses multiple complex compounds in their formulations, which are even more susceptible to breakdown once added to a liquid. It is these compounds that give their powdered products such a pronounced effect. WA would be decreasing the effectiveness of the product by selling it in a pre-mixed liquid form as what you see in many other types of liquid drinks sold on the market.
At Wilderness Athlete, they utilize natural flavors to produce products that are manufactured healthy and taste great. Once again, it should be noted that these natural flavors would lose their potency and lose their outstanding flavor if they were premixed and sold in a liquid.
It doesn’t matter whether you are mixing a Wilderness Athlete product on your kitchen counter or out on the mountain somewhere, all you have to do is simply add your own water and enjoy the “healthy benefits” these products bring to the table for your health and performance.
To give the readers of this personal review a better understanding of Wilderness Athletes Products and their new HYDRATE AND RECOVER flavor, Strawberry Granada and WA’s ENERGY & FOCUS, Tropical Fusion, it is very important that you also are given a background on the WA Research Team.
Wilderness Athlete’s Science, Research and Formulation “Dream Team”
• Mark Paulsen is the founder of Wilderness Athlete and started the company based on one simple question he ask himself: “Why hasn’t the science of mainstream sports nutrition been applied to the specific needs of the outdoor athlete? After all, there are no locker rooms or timeouts in the backcountry.” Because of Mark’s unique relationships with expert nutritionists and top collegiate and professional athletes, he was able to address his own question by launching Wilderness Athlete as he believed in enhancing the outdoor experience for the 75% of the population that participates in outdoor activities annually! Here is a quick bio on Coach Paulsen:
“Coach P”, as Mark is often referred to in the sports world, began his athletic career at the University of Kansas as a discus thrower and captain of the Jayhawk’s Big Eight Championship track team. In his senior year, Mark decided to walk on to the Jayhawk football team and earned a scholarship. After completing his college career, Mark signed with the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League.
He began his career of developing top level athletes under well respected strength and conditioning coach, Mike Clark, at the University of Kansas. Mark then joined the University of South Carolina, where he furthered his career under another well-known name in strength and conditioning, Keith Kephart. In 1985, Mark began his head coaching career at Long Beach State University where he served for two years before becoming the Strength and Conditioning Coach at the University of New Mexico. Mark finished his career with the Lobo’s as the University Director of Athletic Performance from 1987 to 2012.
Coach Paulsen holds a Bachelors degree in Exercise Science from the University of Kansas and pursued his Masters degree in Nutrition from the University of South Carolina. I closely follow his articles on physical fitness, that he writes for Western Hunter Magazine. “Coach P” knows his stuff!
It should be noted that Mark is an avid hunter, outdoorsman and can often be children. Mark and his wife also started the collegiate chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at the University of New Mexico in 1987.
*PLEASE NOTE THAT EACH ONE OF THESE SCIENTISTS ON THE WILDERNESS ATHLETE FORULATION BOARD ARE BIOCHEMISTS! YOU CAN RESEARCH THEIR PERSONAL BIOS IN GREATER DETAIL ON THE WA WEBSITE.
• Harry G. Preuss, M.D. Professor of Biochemistry, Medicine and Pathology at the Georgetown University Medical Center. He is Chairman of the Wilderness Athlete, Science, Research and Formulation Board. Dr. Preuss’ prestigious accomplishments and biography is extensive.
• Dr. Richard P. Scheckenbach is a graduate of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) with Bacteriology as his major. He pursued his PH.D. at Oregon State University with emphasis in Microbiology/Biochemistry. Dr. Scheckenbach has worked in the nutritional field since 1978 and has helped in formulating products for more than one hundred companies worldwide.
• Dr. Vladimir Oleynikov, Ph.D. is a renown Russian Biochemist and Research Scientist has served as a research scientist for the former USSR’s national sports teams and Olympic Committee from 1992 to the present. In this capacity, Oleynikov formulates nutritional products, provides nutritional advice to the Committee and to individual athletes, and presents programs on improving physical performance in all athletic activities.
• Dr. ELI LANKFORD, PH.D. Dr. Lanford’s research has covered a broad spectrum in the field of exercise physiology ranging from work performance of wildland firefighters to gene expression of human skeletal muscle. His current research interests include the energy requirements of non-traditional exercise and functional movement patterns in archery and rifle shooting. He spent years analyzing the energy demands of various hunts and focusing how to physically prepare for these different hunting environments. As such he is an avid outdoorsman and has been prostaff for multiple outdoor companies. Dr. Lankford is currently a professor of exercise physiology and a college archery instructor.
The Wilderness Athlete Team, featuring over 100 years of clinical work at prestigious universities and human performance labs around the world is the perfect combination to ensure that the products they manufacture are based on an “unbreakable” scientific platform!
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR WILDERNESS ATHLETE PRODUCTS:
As is common with all supplemental health products please note: “These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and that they are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.”
HYDRATE & RECOVER – STRAWBERRY GRANADA
• Precisely balanced electrolyte and mineral composition to support proper hydration, energy metabolism, and physical endurance*
• Isotonic formulation ensures fast gastric emptying, rushing fluids to muscles and organs where they’re needed most*
• Contains no artificial colors, flavors, stabilizers, or preservatives*
• Low Glycemic Index (GI) sugars combined with complex carbohydrates and L-Glutamine help support increased endurance and prevent fatigue*
• Includes Glucosamine to maintain and nourish joints and retain their proper fluid levels*
• Provides energy cycle cofactors and standardized botanical extracts for sustained ATP (energy) production throughout the body*
ENERGY AND FOCUS TROPICAL FUSION
• Contains no simple sugars to interfere with normal blood sugar metabolism and regulation – a true “no crash” formula*
• A comprehensive profile of neuroactive nutrients to support optimum brain and nervous system energy and physiology*
• Potent antioxidant profile of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Mixed Carotenes protects tissues from free-radical damage*
• Fast acting, steady energy boost – Feel it in minutes, enjoy for it hours*
• Includes adaptogenic botanical extracts to support physical stamina*
Naturally flavored and colored, contains no artificial ingredients
WILDERNESS ATHLETE PROBIOTICS
Recently, WA’s team also released their new PROBIOTIC supplement. Quality probiotics, when used properly, can not only assist in the digestion process, but have been proven through scientific research to help boost overall energy, provide a stronger immune system, and improve metabolism, mood and healthy skin.
Probiotics, although we can’t see them, are basically defined as a combination of beneficial microorganisms (good bacteria) in your digestive tract. When combined with identified root extracts that are capable of improving your digestive and immune system functions within the body they can be a very positive supplement.
There’s no doubt that PROBIOTICS have created quite a buzz in the health field and the overall market has become saturated with many products professing to be the “best of the best.” It’s important as consumers for us to find a PROBIOTIC supplement that will effectively promote the balance of good bacteria to combat the “bad” microorganisms to enable us to digest food properly, remove harmful toxins and even fight infections.
Since trying WA’s new PROBIOTIC supplement, I have noticed that my digestive system seems to function more efficiently. It’s too early for me to say whether or not my immune system is stronger but I can tell you that I haven’t been sick since I started using this supplement. It has not caused my stomach to feel uneasy or bloated so I will continue using it. Each person’s digestive system can react differently of course to supplements.
I SPEND DAYS AS A WILDERNESS ATHLETE OUT ON THE MOUNTAIN EACH YEAR AND I NEED AN EXTRA BOOST FROM WA’S HYDRATE & RECOVERY AND ENERGY & FOCUS TO STAY ON TOP OF MY GAME!
As Mountain Athletes, it is important that we utilize health supplements that will not only maximize our physical output but help us heal and regenerate damaged muscle tissue, etc, after the pounding we put our bodies through. I don’t recover as quickly as I did when I was “just a youngster” so I believe that my body deserves the best nutrients and electrolyte replacements that I can utilize when working out or when I’m out on the mountain for multiple days at a time expending enormous amounts of energy, burning calories, etc. After spending a week climbing mountains and chasing big desert rams with a 70 lb pack on my back my body needs all the extra help it can get for optimum performance and if I am to fully recover.
I continue to be extremely pleased with Wilderness Athlete’s Hydrate & Recover and Energy and Focus powders as well as their new PROBIOTIC supplement. I use them every day while I’m training at home but they are a HIGH PRIORITY ITEM on my backpack list. It’s a well-researched fact that we need to keep our bodies properly hydrated and muscles “refueled” during the peak performance of physical exertion. When I’m using WA’s Hydrate & Recovery and Energy & Focus powders I not only feel better but also know that the “refueling” process for my body is taking place. I honestly believe that I have greater energy and understand that I’m replacing the loss of critical fluids as well as a very broad spectrum of nutrients that my body has expended when using these two products.
Although many people choose to use these two products separately I’ve found
that I prefer to combine both the Stawberry Granada and Tropical Fusion together in what Wilderness Athlete calls a “Superman.” However, I refer to it as my “High Desert Turbo Charged Nitro Express!” LOL I don’t care what you call it, just know that this combination creates a great tasting drink and energizes and rejuvenates my body. I can honestly say that both NEW flavors are outstanding and very pleasing. I have not experienced any upset stomach, cramping, or bloating while consuming these drinks. In fact, I prefer to blend both flavors together to “jumpstart my morning or workout!
I LIKE TO BLEND BOTH ENERGY & FOCUS AND HYDRATE & RECOVER TOGETHER INTO A SMOOTHIE FIRST THING EVERY MORNING!
When I’m out on the desert I often have to locate what I would call “undesirable water sources” that I either treat with chemicals to kill harmful bacteria/virus organisms or I filter it. Either way, the water does not taste good at all! My body begins craving liquid that has some flavor to it and WA’s Hydrate & Recover and Energy and Focus provides exactly that. The Energy and Focus powder can now be ordered comes in the new Strawberry Granada, the original Mango Bango or in Cherry Lime flavors. The Hydrate and Recover comes in their new Tropical Fusion, Lemon Lime or the original Berry Blast. I like all the flavors, but I personally lean toward Cherry Lime and the Lemon Lime because I enjoy the “tartness.”
Please note that I have taken Wilderness Athlete’s 6 flavors a step further by mixing them all together to create my own, very unique “SUPER, SUPERMAN” FLAVOR that I personally enjoy! Try it and see what you think?
At home or out out on the mountain I will chug a quart of the Hydrate & Recover and Energy & Focus mixture first thing in the morning before breakfast. Experiment, to see what flavors you like to combine together. I then will consume several more quarts during the day and one at night before I crawl back into my tent. My body and sore muscles feel much better and I’m able to perform at a higher level physically and mentally. Here are some of the benefits that you get from these physical supplements that has been proven through scientifically research.
• Replacement of critical A, C, E, B and C vitamins needed for body functions and minerals for health. The amino acids help your muscles function under stress and recover more quickly.
• There is also some caffeine in these powders to help with energy as well as research proven herbs, adaptogens and notropics that support you in keeping your mind sharp and clear as well as to function under stress. Of course you also receive a healthy dose of sodium, potassium and magnesium for hydration and electrolyte replacement but other generous additives such as the antioxidant Co-enzyme Q-10 as well as Glucosamine. joint function, Glutamine and Glutathione. The Schizandra Extract that is added has also been linked to helping improve your endurance, coordination and concentration.
• There are also other extracts/additives such as Golden Root. Choline, etc, also that have been scientifically proven to improve various body/brain functions.
If you will diligently conduct your research on Wilderness Athlete’s Focus & Energy and Hydrate & Recover I know that you will be as convinced as I am in regards to their effectiveness when it comes to performance and recovery. I don’t go anywhere without these two supplements and they do work!
You can purchase either product in tubs priced at $29.95 each or in the boxes containing individualized packets for the same price. I use the packets when backpacking and tubs while training at home. You can also save $10 by purchasing combo tubs at Wilderness Athlete for $49. That is a nice savings. WA also has some incredible sales at different times during the year and they also sponsor a LOYALTY PROGRAM that can’t be beat!
FUELING UP WITH MY “HIGH DESERT TUBO CHARGED ELIXER” BY COMBINING ENERGY & FOCUS AND HYDRATE & RECOVER TOGETHER. WORKS GREAT!
According to The Joint FAO/World Health Organization, probiotics are I personally recommend the use of Wilderness Athlete’s supplements. You can find them on the internet at www.wildernessathlete.com.
What They Could Do Better:
Wilderness Athlete is a great company that has importantly recognized the needs of hunters and outdoor enthusiasts worldwide. It’s my sincere opinion that they have done an incredible job and offer many outstanding products.
I wish you the very best as you prepare yourself for the physical and mental challenges “out on the mountain” that await you.