Zoic 2 Backpacking Tent by MSR
By Cory McLaughlin
Follow Us on INSTAGRAM @ireviewgear
Just the Facts:
Stay cool and comfortable on warm nights in the wilderness with this ultra-breathable, spacious tent designed to help you rest up for more productive days of adventuring. Light enough to take into the backcountry, the Zoic 2 offers a lot of extra space for stretching out and storing gear. Great for first-time and warm-weather backpackers, the Zoic tent can go from trailhead camping to remote mountain lakes with ease, and its easy-pitch design allows for more time to hang out with friends or to enjoy the scenery. Two doors and two gear lofts make for convenient access and gear storage.
- Light: Full micromesh canopy offers max breathability, moisture control, views and bug-free protection, with minimal weight.
- Spacious: A wide floor plan and steep sidewalls create a roomy interior that accommodates a 25-in. mattress for each occupant.
- Easy Setup: Freestanding system; hubbed pole allows for quick setup. All models feature a Fast & Light freestanding setup option with rainfly and Fast & Light™ Body (sold separately).
- Durable: Proven MSR design geometry is matched with light, strong aluminum poles and long-lasting Xtreme Shield™ coating.
- Livability: Two doors, two built-in gear lofts, and extra volume make this tent an excellent value.
- Fast & Light® Weight w/ F&L Body (Standard):
- 3 lbs 8 oz
- Fast & Light® Weight w/ F&L Body (Metric):
- 59 kg
- Minimum Weight (Standard):
- 4 lbs 6 oz
- Minimum Weight (Metric):
- 97 kg
- Packaged Weight (Standard):
- 4 lbs 13 oz
- Packaged Weight (Metric):
- 19 kg
- Floor Dimensions (Standard) in:
- 88 x 85 in
- Floor Dimensions (Metric) cm:
- 223 x 137 cm
- Floor Area (Standard):
- 33 sq. ft
- Floor Area (Metric):
- 07 sq. m
- Vestibule Area (Standard):
- 18 sq. ft
- Vestibule Area (Metric):
- 67 sq. m
- Tent Volume (Standard):
- 54 cu. ft
- Number of Poles:
- 2 7000 series aluminum
- Tent Volume (Metric):
- 1529 liters
- Interior Peak Height (Standard):
- 39 in
- Interior Peak Height (Metric):
- 100 cm
- Packed Size (Standard):
- 21 x 5 in
- Packed Size (Metric):
- 53 x 13 cm
- Number of Doors:
- Rainfly Fabric:
- 40D ripstop nylon 1500mm Xtreme Shield™ polyurethane & silicone
- Mesh Type:
- 15D nylon micromesh
- Floor Fabric:
- 70D taffeta nylon 3000mm Xtreme Shield™ polyurethane & DWR
- Country of Origin:
- Vestibule Volume (Metric):
- 539 liters
- Vestibule Volume (Standard):
- 19 cu. ft
I have a very long standing love affair with MSR. I just love quality gear and the Zoic Backpacking Tent is just that. I was looking for a tent that was bit more robust than my UL tents. The reason was simple, I have children, and they are not polite on gear. I wanted a tent that could handle a bit of rough-housing without being torn to shreds.
When the Zoic arrived my daughters were super excited to get it out into the yard. They set it up and brought all their dolls out to play in the new ‘’play house’’ that they decided was theirs. Who was I to argue as today’s world is doing everything to put kids behind screens of some kind or another. I was all about my girls play in a tent in the back yard.
Our testing area of the tent was to come on a family camping trip to the Oregon coast. We decided to take the trailer for the first time as it was more cost efficient than renting a house. when we arrived at the campground it did not take long for that craving of independence to take over my children’s minds and they asked me if they could camp out in ‘’their’’ tent. Again, how could I say no to this?
We worked together to set the tent up and in record time they had all their belongings into the tent. They were so excited to sleep in their own camping spot that I was hardly able to see them before they rushed off to bed.
The Zoic 2 Backpacking Tent is not what I would call a UL tent and it is not advertised to be one. IT comes in at just under 5 Lbs and while this would work for a backpacking tent it is a bit heavy for my liking. It is however a great trailhead tent and if you are on a budget that does not allow for an expensive UL tent I would gladly recommend this as MSR just makes quality gear that you can trust to perform. I was ablet oget this tent out for archery season and it worked wonderfully for my base camp.
Setup of this tent is very standard dome tent style that should not need much explanation. I found that the size rating was accurate and this is truly a 2 person shelter. The craftsmanship and materials appear to follow the every reliable MRS reputation and I have no complaints thus far. The vestibule area is great for keeping shoes or other gear dry while inside the tent. I also love that this tent offers dual entry points as this is always a welcomed feature in a multi person tent.
Waterproofing comes by way of the rainfly and the Xtreme Shield coating that is on both the fly and the bathtub floor of the tent. Our testing of this particular tent did not afford an opportunity to test during a rain storm as whether is unpredictable. I do plan to update this section after I find some rain.
Overall this is a great tent for just about any type of camping or backpacking, as long as you are willing to add the extra weight. I think this is a stand out product from MSR and I would have no reservations about recommending family and friends to purchase this great tent.
Find it Here:
What can be done better?
I would not change a thing. This tent performs as it is intended. I love that MSR has a variety of tents to choose from so if I wanted other features I could look at other tents in their impressive line of shelters. In the end what I feel is the important takeaway is that you will not go wrong by choosing an MSR tent.